Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Killing It: MTV's Weekly Artists, Par Deux

From an artist's standpoint, getting bigger and being in the public eye can be exciting and thrilling; being able to see your music influence people and played everywhere. I have no doubt in my mind that this is an exhilarating process. But what about the fans? I'm talking about the fans that have known you since you were virtually unheard of, and still stayed by your side when the hipsters labeled you this and said you were copying someone else's game. Those fans, just like us, or at least very similar. Which brings up my current beef with MTV, seeing one artist being exploited weekly.
I've been upset about this for a while, since it began. When it comes down to it, it's the artists' decision whether to collaborate with MTV. Therefore, they technically aren't doing anything against their will here. It just plainly disgusts me that coincidentally, many of Atomic's favorite artists have been featured within the series:
-Chromeo
-M.I.A.
-Aesop Rock
-Gnarls Barkley
-Rilo Kiley
-(this week) Santogold


Santogold vs. Santosilver

It slightly takes away from their originality and appeal, in my opinion, and I'd like to know all of yours.

-Michaela Fox

No comments: